God knows by now we all need a cookie! I have been focusing on everyday foods that bring optimal health but at times like this we do need a treat too every now and then. These cookies are perfect because they are incredibly delicious and indulgent, but the ingredients themselves are not too bad so in the grand scheme of things these are a much better choice than some other items you may have hiding in the pantry, say Oreos. Yes Oreos are vegan, but they are also full of chemicals and crap that none of us should be eating, especially now. Even better Raw VEGAN cookie dough has no raw eggs so go ahead and have some raw cookie dough, no worries about salmonella from these!
The recipe is very similar in proportion to the classic toll house cookie so it may seem somewhat familiar. It is great when plant based alternatives of classic favorites don’t have to deviate too much from the original. So the big swap outs when it comes to making cookies plant based, swap the butter with coconut oil, same texture so it creams beautifully and use the classic flax meal and water substitute for the eggs.
1 egg = 1 tsp. flax meal+ 3 tsp water, let sit for 5 to 8 mins
otherwise the recipe is much the same, just be sure to choose a vegan, semi sweet chocolate chip, there are many on the market. So here it is:
1 cup coconut oil, ideally organic
1 1/2 cups coconut palm sugar
2 tsp flax meal +6tsp water, mixed together and allowed to sit for 8mins
2 cups flour, whatever type you like
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup nuts pecans, walnuts, whatever you have
- pre heat oven to 350 degrees
- begin by creaming together the coconut oil and sugar until fluffy
- add flax meal and water mixture and continue beating until nice and fluffy
- add flour and baking soda in 1/2 cup increments and continue to mix
- once the flour is thoroughly combined add chips and nuts
- dough will be stiff so put a glove on and use your hand to mix in the chips and nuts well
- place 1 ounce flattened balls of dough about 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet
- bake for 8 to 12 minutes until tops begin to crack
- let cool and enjoy.
ONE THING TO REMEMBER IS THAT THESE DON’T LAST QUITE AS LONG AS REGULAR COOKIES AND DRY OUT QUICKLY. BE SURE TO FREEZE WHAT YOU DON’T INTEND TO EAT WITH 2 TO 3 DAYS.